Monday, November 17, 2008

Taking a Moment to say THANK YOU!

I will apologize now, if this offends anyone, but I wanted to share.

I know this may seem to have little to do with Provident Living, after all it doesn't help one store food, prepare finances or battle emergencies. But, it only seems that way. While we prepare for the worst, there are many people out there doing everything that they can to make sure that worst doesn't happen. Men and women put their lives on the line everyday to ensure we have finances to prepare, stores to buy food at, people to train us for emergencies, and the freedom to make those preparations.

A friend forwarded me this address. The idea is to make an extra card or cards this holiday season, and send one on to the address below

A Recovering American Soldier
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue,NW
Washington,D.C. 20307-5001

These cards will go to some very deserving service members who have been injured in the line of duty. They don't have to be extra fancy, in fact I imagine that many cards that will be sent will be store bought. But, I thought it might be mighty nice for these men and women to receive some cards.

Please don't feel as if I am demanding you participate, I am not. But, if you are going to be doing some holiday cards, please consider sending one. I have the opportunity to live in a military community, and I have the honour of seeing first hand the sacrifice that our military members and their families make on our behalf....this is just a little way to say thank you.

So I looked at the snopes website and it had a link to another snopes website that talked about the Walter Reed address and it actually said that is false. Walter Reed will not accept cards to "recovering soldiers." The website on that is:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/walterreed.asp
BUT, it is true that this year the Red Cross will be hosting an event like that where we can all send in cards and they will distribute them. The website about that is:
http://www.redcross.org/email/saf/

No comments: